Thursday, January 15, 2015

Stupid Old Woman!


As a teacher, I have been called many names, and I don’t mean Mrs. York or Mrs. Kim.  You would think teaching on a college level meant you were teaching mature, intelligent people all of the time.  But, as I said, “You would think.” 

That is not always the case.  Sometimes, I get one who is just drenched with attitude.  And,  that ONE always knows more than you do, and they push your stress levels to all new heights.  More stress also means more hot flashes, which leads to one unhappy teacher!

Recently, I got one of those students.  Oh yes, this student knew it all!  And, this student thought they could come to class late every day..."what’s the problem with that?"  And, this student thought they could plagiarize work…”Why not?   Someone else already found the information, why should I have to research it too? I have better things to do with my time…like get on Facebook”  OK, the student never said all of that, but I am sure it is what they were thinking.

Then one day (day 3 actually,) this student pulled the final piece of wood that crashed their Jenga house to the ground.  This student slammed down a pen because they were upset that I called them out for being late, then turned to the class and said, “Stupid Old Woman!”

There it was…the first time someone called me an old woman.  Wow!  That hurt bigtime!  And, I have been called plenty…even the big “B” word.  However, those words never bothered me…sometimes I can be a “B,” but this time the name calling hit home. 

The next day, I was trying to suck it up and heal my “old” wounds and get it out of my head.  This student had been terminated, and I did not have to deal with their attitude anymore!  But, the reality of being “old” came through yet another medium. 
My class had an assignment regarding telephone etiquette, and then in teams of two, they had to act out the proper and improper ways to talk to customers.  One of my students discussed asking for callback information and actually used the number 867-5309 in the demonstration.  And, if you are a Menopausal Mom, you know this number well…right?  Please tell me you do!

So, I start singing the number and my students look at me like I am C-R-A-Z-Y!  “What are you singing Mrs. Kim?” 

I then said, "Really? Seriously? You have never heard of “Tommy Tutone?”  They said, “Tommy who?”  Is he a rapper?   Eyes widen…jaw drops.  In their defense, I guess the name does sound like a rapper.  And in this picture, he even looks like a rapper.

But, I really felt my age.  So, I put the music video up on the overhead so that they could experience it, and not think I am C-R-A-Z-Y!  The video was ancient, and even a little cheesey…but it gave my students a good laugh.  They said, “That really is a song!”  At least, in that moment, they knew I hadn’t lost my mind.  I may be old, but I am not senile!

I thought simply turning 50 was enough to feel old, but it seems turning 50 is just the very, very beginning!

This past Monday, I had the pleasure of seeing my doctor…she is the best doctor ever!  But, she was concerned that I had not been through an ovarian cancer screening since my hysterectomy 14 years ago.  So, she thought I needed to get this set up.  She asked if I knew the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center offered  free ovarian cancer screenings to women over 50 and women over 25 with a family history of ovarian cancer?  I told her I had no idea, but I signed up. 

Yes, it seems once you hit 50, you are prone to so many more health issues, including ovarian cancer.  As the year progresses, I will keep you updated on all of my turning 50 adventures.  I am sure I have lots of prodding and needle sticks to endure.

Turning 50… “Is there an app for that?”
May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder.
Kim York

No comments:

Post a Comment