Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Loading in for the Snow: Snowpocalypse Edition

Biscuits.
If you're from the South you know that when snow is coming you load in biscuits.
My Super Kroger on Sunday was literally out of biscuits.
The whole freezer case was empty. 
I suppose to the purist there were the makings of biscuits in the baking aisle but who has the time?
And the reason I am writing this post is that I am curious about the things people grab on their way home when they feel like they are going to be trapped by snow.
I suppose that my Mamaw made biscuits for breakfast every morning. My Mom did not. I certainly don't. I provide Cliffs Bars or Pop Tarts. That's on a good day. On a bad day it's "here's a dollar for sausage pancake on a stick at school" and "there's half a bottle of water in the back of the car, oh wait, maybe Mountain Dew..."   
What about snow makes people biscuit crazy?
If I had to pick a breakfast bread to be trapped with on a snow day, I'd go for cinnamon rolls or a nice blueberry scone.
Are people, especially Moms, giving into peer pressure to appear more responsible?
Are they worried someon in the check out aisle will spy their cart in th check out aisle....we all know we judge....and think "cinnamon rolls, scones....where are the biscuits? What kind of mother doesn't get snow biscuits?"
The run on milk is equally weird to me. Are people suddenly jonesing for milk? We made snow cream when I was little and I loved it but a gallon of milk would make, what, 5 gallons of snow cream? 
Does falling snow raise the need for calcium in your blood?
I'll admit I am generally ill prepared to survive lengthy entrapment in my house.
If I honestly made a list of things I really need to survive it would be say cheese, pasta, sauce, pizza, cheese, almond milk and cheese. And the number for Chinese delivery .
That covers the basics. 
I suppose as a Menopausal Moms would add wine and chocolate. 
Really, check out judgement aside, what do you load in for a Snow Day?
And today's shout out goes to our readers in Malta. Or maybe reader. Either way MALTA!



No comments:

Post a Comment