Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reality shows made me sicker.


It’s crappy to be sick, especially when a fever hits and you already suffer with hot flashes.  Bad combination!  You might say I get just a little bit cranky.  My husband might say more than that.  So, when I’m sick, the only things I want to do are lie around, be pampered and watch TV. 


But this time, I’m not the only person sick in my house; my husband, Tim, is sick too.  As-a-matter-of-fact, he is much more sick than I am.  Neither of us have any energy, and walking to the bathroom is like high endurance exercise followed by gut-wrenching coughs.  So, no pampering…we have just taken turns making each other meals, so we can stay alive. 

And, this weekend, we have both taken in much more TV than any one-person needs in a year.  Fortunately for Tim, there is something called “playoffs” on TV, and he is in couch potato Heaven.  For me, not so much!

There are very few shows that make me say, “Good Lord, that is a TV show?”  But, that has been in my head all weekend.  I love reality shows, so I typically frown when some Debbie Downer says reality TV is foolish.  I get that reality shows are not known for their educational moments, but I have an MBA and educational moments are not what I am looking for.  I am looking for entertainment.  However, after this weekend, I am starting to lean toward the Debbie Downer dark side.

Why, you ask?  Well, up until yesterday, my idea of reality shows were waiting week to week to see who got voted off “American Idol” or “Survivor.”  Or, when I really feel daring, I watch “Sister Wives.”  (My husband hates this show, but I have fallen in love with the Brown family.)

But, this weekend made all of my past reality TV viewing seem more like I was watching Nick at Night.  I could not believe how far television has taken reality shows. For instance, the first two TV reality shows to grab my attention were “Little Women LA” and “Big Women: Big Love,” both on the Lifetime channel. (I had just watched a Lifetime movie and these shows immediately followed.) 

Let me begin with “Big Women: Big Love.”  Oh where to begin?  This show is all about 5 women who are overweight and follows their adventures in dating.  The name of the first episode is, “Curly Fries and Creepy Guys.”  And, the episode lives up to its name. 

One of the characters, Jenn, went on a first date with someone she had met online.  They went bowling.   This guy obviously thought he was better than her with all of the comments he was making.  He was just rude to her.  While they were bowling, an attendant comes around to see if they want to order anything to eat or drink.  Jen orders curly fries, and her date’s response was, “really?”  He ordered a purple Gatorade. 

Another cast member, Mar, stated she did not like to date men who were fat.  Hmmm.  You hear the women say many times in the first episode that men should like them for who they are…size shouldn’t matter.  Hmmm again.  And, did I mention the scene where one of the ladies asks this guy, on their first date, if she could put her hand on his inner thigh?  Did I say, “Hmmm?” 

Let’s move on to, “Little Women LA.”  


This one made my jaw drop.  The women involved are dwarfs, and the show attempts to create a “Housewives of Beverly Hills” aura with little women.  The first episode is full of important issues related to dwarfism.  Let’s see…there was the divorce party with a penis cake.  And, I cannot forget Christy, who while shopping in a furniture store, laid down on her stomach, on a coffee table, and twerked as if she were having sex.  She was, “trying it out.”  Uh huh. 


Do these women not get they are being exploited?  This includes women from both shows…big and little.   The cast members on both shows talk as if they want to educate viewers on the plights of life when you are either big or small people in society.  But, the cameras catch them in situations that are in no way meant to educate, but rather to entertain…and entertain it does.  As appalled as I felt watching the shows, it was a like a train wreck, you can’t look away.  The best thing I can do for myself, and those women, is to never turn those TV shows on again.  It’s just sad.

I will say one cast member, Elena, of “Little Women LA,” seemed to get it.  And, she admitted to knowing she was being exploited. She did not admit the exploitation as a cast member of the show, but of the work she did in the real world.

This topic started a heated conversation while soaking with the other ladies of the show, in a hot tub.  Elena said she was going to be a midget Lady Gaga at a midget bar.  The other ladies were appalled that she referenced the word, “midget.”  Hence, the title of the first episode, “The “M” Word.” 


The other ladies said it was like calling a black person the “N” word.  Elena did not agree.  She said her work, and the work of another cast member, Terra, who was also in entertainment, was meant to be funny and entertaining to others.  She went on to say if the others did not agree with this, they were basically fooling themselves.  

I hope all of these women and all other people on reality shows, who are made fun of because they are what society deems “different,” get they are being exploited.  If they know this, and are willing to put themselves out there for money, more power to them.  If they don’t, shame on those who produce the shows.

For now, I will fill the remaining hours of my sick weekend with TV shows I have recorded on my DVR.  Time for hot soup, hot tea, and “I Love Lucy.”  That has to make me feel better!  Can you say, “Vitameatavegimen?”

May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder.
Kim York


No comments:

Post a Comment