Thursday, January 22, 2015

Whether they are ready or not America's Got talent is hearing from me


I do have a dream.  Most people do.  But, how often do real dreams come true?

As an average person in society, I am content to have a job that pays the bills, allows me to save a little money, go on an annual vacation, eat well, shop minimally, and afford gasoline.  But, what about those people who are "special?"  You know, the "stars." 

Stars have bills to pay; they go on vacation; they shop; they eat well; and they can definitely afford gasoline…but they are able to do all of these things with glitz and bling!

My family vacation…a week in Myrtle Beach.  A star's vacation…a 3 month tour of Europe.

My bills…month to month.  A star's bills…paid by their accountant a year in advance.

My food…a bologna sandwich, chips and a Pepsi.  A star's food…Waldorf Salad and fruit prepared by their personal chef.

And shopping…me, it's a weekly trip to Walmart. A star's shopping…Rodeo Drive Baby.

You get the picture.  My dream is to be a star for just one day. 

But, deep down, I am truly a simple person who needs very little.  I have many of the things I want, and I am happy.  However, there is still that little voice in the back of my head saying, "Wouldn't it be nice to be a star for just one day?"

So, I have a plan.

Singing is something I love to do.  I sang as a toddler.  I sang with my grade school choir, and I even got to perform and record a solo for a Bicentennial album our grade school choir produced.  As a teen, I sang along with the American Top 40 songs Casey Kasem played each week.  And, in high school, I not only sang with the high school choir, I also performed at many events, and in church, with a dear friend named Tammy.  As a duet with Tammy, I had such confidence when I sang.

One time, at band camp…no, it was actually the Pike County Fair, Tammy and I were told our harmony was, “cream of the crop,” and we were asked to perform with the Kentucky Opry.  But, it wasn’t the right time for either of us, so that did not come to fruition.  But, it was an honor just to be asked! 

I look back and wonder how life might be different if I had chosen a career with music.  Woulda…shoulda….right?  But, I love my life and I am so glad I took the path I did.  That also doesn’t mean just because I am 50 years old my path is nearing the end.  No way!  I see a new path just ahead and I plan to take it and see where it leads. 

This path starts out well defined.  It has the words “America’s Got Talent” (AGT) written out in big, bold, and colorful letters!

I have to say, my favorite reality show demonstrating talent is actually “American Idol.”  But, they do not give golden tickets to “golden” people.  Losers.
 
But, no, I won’t be going to a live audition at AGT…my nerves would get the best of me.  But, I will be submitting a video audition.  That will make me nervous enough!

Now, I just need to decide on a song!  I love to sing, CCR’s, “Bad Moon Rising.”  I also love to sing anything by Alison Krauss.  You see my dilemma.

And, I want to show my edgy side…but my kind heart too.  The plot thickens!

I want to seem young, but demonstrate my wisdom.

I want to look phat, and not worry about my real fat! 

I just want my moment in the sun.  That will be the moment I submit my video.

I may never hear back from anyone at AGT, but at least I will know someone, sometime, with some kind of clout with AGT will watch it.  They may laugh hysterically…they may cry…they may call!!  Who knows?  And, that is the exciting part for me. 

I will feel like a star for a day just by making the submission.  But, wouldn’t it be cool to get a call?  That would be the dream come true!

Do you have a dream that you feel you are too old to make happen?  Should age matter?  Please share your thoughts…and of course, any song suggestions you may have for me!

May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder!
Kim York

No comments:

Post a Comment