Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crap, I will not be a slave to medication!


Happy new year everyone!

As many of you have read in previous posts, I am happy to say “Goodbye” to 2014 and “WELCOME” to 2015.  2014 had many events I am happy to keep in the past, but I believe 2015 will be amazing!

The old year ended and the new began with a road trip to Michigan with my husband.  We had a wonderful time!  And, I have to say, Michigan in the winter is a great place to be when you suffer with hot flashes.  Typically, I travel with a portable fan…in Michigan this is not necessary! 

 
If ever I felt a hot flash coming on…I just opened the door.  The 10 degree temperature was exhilarating!  Our daughter, Amanda, who we visited first in Michigan, thought it was hilarious to see me walk out on her balcony in my socks and jammies to enjoy the cold that was Michigan. I am sure her neighbors thought I was some crazy woman stalking her house! 

 
The trip was great, but with all of the driving we did…about 1800 miles, I had plenty of time to think too.  I decided that I was 50 years old, and I was not young anymore.  But, just because I was no longer young, did not mean I could no longer be healthy.

For the past 4 years, I have been working with an amazing doctor who truly cares.  And, her goal has always been for me to be a healthier person.  But, I am just realizing this was not my goal.  I wanted to lose weight to be healthier, yes…but I also wanted to look like Reba McEntire!  Her figure is perfect, and she is so darn cute!  And, we both say “Crap” all of the time.  She is my menopausal mom idol!

So, actually, I was full of crap to not seriously consider my health as the top priority.  I absolutely hate medicine, and I have to keep taking more and more because I am not doing what I need to do to get healthy.  I keep saying, “I don’t have the time.” 

But, the time I had to reflect over my health and my life while driving all over Michigan was enlightening.  I said to myself, “Crap, Kim!  You know you have time to work out!  Crap, Kim! You know you have time to go to the store and purchase healthy foods.  Crap, Kim!  You know you have time to cook those healthy foods.”  And, then I just said, “Crap, Kim!” ...just because. 

I DO have the time.  Otherwise, my time will be short on this earth. 

The trip also offered my husband, Tim, and I time to talk about what we want for our health together.  We want many more years together, and as things are, that is unlikely.  We both seem to be going down the unhealthy paths of our families.  The men in my husband’s family die young from heart attacks, and the women in my family have heart disease and kidney failure due to junk food lifestyles.  I say, “Crap, Kim…this trend stops with you!” 

Tim and I decided to start making changes…nothing drastic, so we can do what we need to do successfully.  We will NOT diet…we will make healthier food choices.  We will NOT punish our bodies with exercise, but do fun activities at the gym that are also good for our hearts. 

I have always heard people say, “Your head must be on straight before you can be successful with good health and weight loss.”  Well crap, I finally get it now!

I do not want to be a slave to medication.  I want to live a long and happy life.  Crap, I just want to live.

Today is the first step to getting healthy.  My goal, not my resolution, is to welcome the year 2016 without the need for any medication.  NONE!  If my doctor is reading this, I am sure she is shaking her head.  She knows I have struggled with this, but she has never given up on me. 

My head IS ON STRAIGHT now! 

Today I started counting my calories.  I know it is simple…take in fewer calories and make the calories that you do take in count.  Tonight, I will work out at the gym.  I will take it slow and build my endurance every day.

So, if you see me at the gym tonight, don’t laugh at the scared look on my face.  This is only the beginning!  When you see me in 2016, you will say, “Crap, Kim…where did all of that weight go?” 

May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder!
Kim York



 

No comments:

Post a Comment