Thursday, October 23, 2014

#Ibrokethecloud

#Ibrokethecloud
I've heard about The Cloud. I've read about The Cloud. I saw the movie trailer for something called Sex Tape where Jason Segel screamed that "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THE CLOUD".
I didn't know I was on The Cloud or in The Cloud or even Cloud adjacent. 
I certainly didn't know that I could break it. 
Athough I work as a writer, I have a weird quirk. I never, ever just write for my own amusement or to create the Great American Novel. I just don't do it. 
Plus, although I once worked on a series of stories for four years, I usually work on assignment on a short term basis and  don't amass tons of data and documents that I can't lose. 
Guess who went against the grain on both points in the last five months?
So what did I lose? Well.....about 25,000 words on a single topic, a short book or a very long short story and documents and studies I had amassed on a complex medical procedure.
Ok, the IT guy said I confused The Cloud but "I broke" makes a better hashtag.
Or maybe the IT broke it. Either way there was no ill intent. 
The before I lost so much I had to get a setting on my work IPad changed. The way it was explained to me was that if (or the implied "when") I got laid off they needed to have The Cloud involved so they could find and retrieve the IPAD.
Why? Because if they don't connect me with The Cloud in this way and I don't share my password when I'm fired my IPAD becoms "a very expensive paper weight."
But here is reallly the point of the story. It is menopause related. Just hang in there for a second.  
I didn't panic. I thought, well, I found the documents once, I can find them again. I told myself, I wrote the 25,000 words once, right? I can write them again. 
Wait, what?
I can assure you that is not like me in the least. I can fret about fretting. I can have a panic attack over choosing paper or plastic. 
But, today, I was pretty chill. 
And I think that is not because of my new appreciation for moments without hot flashes. Although that is pretty awesome. 
No, I think that now I have reached a point in my life where I am trying not to worry about things I can't change.  
My Mom is getting older, my daughter is getting ready to seriously consider college, my sister just had a heart/cancer scare. Other things matter a whole lot more than words lost. 
So, menopause, #100happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment