Tuesday, November 11, 2014

When Do I Stop????


I was born a blond. 

And, I also had very curly/fuzzy hair. 

My mom said I was cursed because my dad told her when she was pregnant with me he wanted a curly headed little girl.  So throughout her pregnancy, she worried and worried that I would come out with straight hair, and that I would be a boy.

Nope, he got his wish.  My hair was so curly as a child that it looked short...about shoulder length.  BUT, when it was wet, I could pull the curls out and sit on my hair.  You’ve seen pictures of the cartoon character, “Annie” right?  My mother actually referred to brushing my hair as “her curse!” 

The true blond lasted until I was a teen.  Then it went to this “WICKED” color that was really “unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe.”

Enter Clairol!


Then I became a bottle blond, and this lasted until I was in my early 40's. 
 Since that point, my hair has been every color of the rainbow and more, including pink!  The pink, accidental as it was, had a certain appeal...if you like cotton candy?
Now my hair is in the ginger family.  It has been every shade of red you could imagine, and I change the color just about every time I walk in my beautician’s shop.  I know she hates to see me come.  Mostly because I have enough hair for 4 women, and she never knows what I want done to my hair until I get there. 


This year, however, she had sympathy on me.  Between medication injected in my back for a herniated disk... and menopause, a large amount of my hair fell out.  #CanYouSayTraumatizing!  

First, I was balding.  Then my hair came back in looking like straw!  It was hideous! 

I tried weaving real hair into my own hair (what little was left.)  That was such a bad idea...for sooo many reasons.


Then I bought clips and made hair pieces to clip into the bare spots.  Yep, that too was another bad idea.  And let me tell you, buying real hair is expensive!

But, my head is currently producing normal, healthy hair.  So, back to the color bottle I go!

But, when do I stop? 

At some point, most women quit dying their hair and embrace the silver strands.  Is it that time?  If not now, when? 

I have to admit, I am a bit vain about wanting to look as young as possible.  And, I fear looking into a mirror and seeing myself older.  Will that change my behavior?  Will my husband find me less attractive?  Will I feel compelled to fill out the AARP applications we keep getting in the mail?  Will I want to wear polyester? Will I want to drive a Buick?  (No offense to Buick lovers!)  UGH!!!!

I am just not ready yet!!!
Me currently

So, I am asking you, those who so kindly read this blog, when is the right time to go silver?


No comments:

Post a Comment