Thursday, November 6, 2014

Crazy Dog Lady


Last Friday night was a difficult one in the York household.  It was about midnight when I heard that sound.  You know…that rhythmic yakking sound a dog makes when they are about to upchuck.  I immediately thought about the dinner scene from “Christmas Vacation” when Snots had eaten from the garbage can.  UGH. 

I jumped out of bed and attempted to let our dog, Winston, outside to throw up.  He tried to make it, but I didn’t get him outside in time.  So, at midnight I was cleaning up a mess.  Let me rephrase that.  At midnight I was cleaning up the first mess.  He was not done yet.

Ultimately, I cleaned up seven messes between midnight and 4:00am.  I was just about ready to take him to urgent treatment when it all finally stopped.  Needless to say, he and I both were exhausted the next day.  But, I love my dog…and need to be a good doggy parent.

I remember the first day I adopted Winston.  He was 3 months old, lying in a tiled crib, depressed.  He and his 2 sisters had been rescued from a kill shelter.  His mother was not rescued, so he lost his mommy.  And, both sisters had been adopted the week before.  He was simply sad and lonely.  I knew he needed me.


                                                                Look at that face!

A few months later, I happened to see another 4-month-old dog on Craigslist that needed a home.  The dog had been rescued, but the adoptive parents could not keep her because of her size.  She needed me too!
So, now my husband and I have 2 inside dogs, Winston and Macy.  And, they control our home…seriously.  They sleep with us.  They eat when we do.  They ride with us on trips…windows down…heads hanging out.  Their favorite place to go is Miguel’s Pizza at Natural Bridge.  When we pull in, they can hardly wait to get out of the car.  (We feed them all of the pepperoni off the pizza!)  And yes, people laugh and look at us strange when they see our dogs sitting at the picnic table eating pizza.  Really???

Our lives are ruled by 2 four-legged animals.




 

Did I mention that they like to chew things?  They have literally chewed up most of what we own.  They ate our couch.  They have chewed up rugs, socks, belts, shoes, hats, quilts, cords, leashes, and even a couple of really awful Christmas sweaters (even dogs know a bad Christmas sweater.) In the pictures below, they had just chewed up a cushion to a sleeper sofa and one of their doggy beds (the second bed died shortly after the first.)  I think they chose to chew up their beds so they could sleep in ours!


mm


 


So, by now I am sure you think we are crazy, and we probably are!  But, we love our furry babies and always try to see humor in these situations.  It’s better than crying.  And, the chewing is getting less and less as they get older. 

Our pups also provide love and constant entertainment now that our children are grown and our nest is empty.  They also fill special, previously empty, places in our hearts.  So, in reality, Winston and Macy may need me, but I think I needed them more.
Winston
Macy

  


Did I mention we also have 2 cats?  Another time and another blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment