Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Menopausal Women-You are not Alone.


Last week, I had one of those days when you ask yourself, "Am I being punished for something?" This question was followed by, "Could anything else possibly happen?"  Well, I got my answer… it could…and it did. 

But, here is the thing; I can't even remember what those things were.  I do remember a spat with my husband (we always remember things like that…right?) But, everything else is a blurr.  This tells me nothing could have been that terribly wrong.  So, why was I in such need of a pity party?


Menopause!

The one thing about myself I am quite aware of are my emotional mood swings.  One minute, I am driving to work, eating my banana, and thinking about what I plan to teach my students that day, the next minute I am boo-hooing because I heard "Jesus Take the Wheel" on the radio. 

I am driving myself crazy!



But, I read this article (excerpt) in Medical News Today, and realized this is fairly normal.


1 in 4 women 'struggling to cope' due to menopause

A separate International Menopause Day-related report by the UK-based not-for-profit health care provider Nuffield Health, meanwhile, finds that women feel they have little support, advice or treatment for menopause symptoms and hormonal changes.

Nuffield Health questioned 3,275 women in the UK between the ages of 40 and 65, of which 62% said they were going through hormonal changes or menopause symptoms that have a detrimental effect on their lives.
Overall, 1 in 4 women said they were struggling to cope with aspects of life due to their symptoms. Almost half (47%) of women with symptoms said they felt depressed, with more than a third (37%) suffering from anxiety.

More than two thirds (67%) of the women in the study said there was a general lack of support or advice for women going through menopause.

Written by David McNamee
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284076.php

This article also discusses the need for regular health checks for women going through menopause because of the increased risk of heart disease and cancer.  And, it talks about the need for increased exercise in women going through this life-changing process.
But, I want to focus on how menopause creates emotional turmoil in 25% of the women going through it.  This is a big percent of women.  This is also why we decided to begin this blog.  We all need support!

First, it is so very important that you seek medical attention if those feelings of emotional turmoil turn to depression or thoughts of suicide.  DO NOT WAIT to see if it will improve!  CALL your doctor and tell them you need help now! 

Another article by the Calm Clinic talks about stress and anxiety during perimoenopause:
http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/types/during-perimenopause
This article talks about how these emotional changes start before we begin menopause, so this ultimately incorporates many years in the lives of 25% of women.  The article also stresses the importance of staying focused on positive things.

"Don't forget to stay positive. Look for activities and events that keep you focused on how great your life is and how great your life will be, not simply the fears you have about the future."

This is how I try to live, and it is what I tell my children.  Bad things happen, but focus on the good things.  It really helps you stay centered.  And, I try to remember that the bad definitely forces me to appreciate the good so much more!
Another really great site I found that was very helpful to me was Menopause Matters (link below).  There are many tips (even tips for men) regarding menopause.  You can order books and even ask a doctor a question.  Go to this site and bookmark it.  I did!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/


Menopause, as my partner on the Menopausal Mom blog states, is universal!  So, let's pull together and utilize this blog to offer information to each other.  Educating ourselves about this process is the key to understanding, acceptance and survival.

May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder!
Kim York

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment