Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I prefer comfort over cuteness!


"You look marvelous!" 

Do you remember the Fernando Lamas character portrayed by Billy Crystal back in the mid-to late 80's?  The character believed "It's better to look good than to feel good."  And, there was a time I believed this!

I remember as a teen, I would lie on the bed and pull up a pair of skin-tight Jordache or Gloria Vanderbilt jeans and button them before I dared stand up.  I have no idea how I ever took a deep breath, if I did at all, or how I managed to eat much, if I ate anything.   But, my jeans looked good, and that was all that mattered.  You did this too!  If not…don't judge me!

Now-a-days, I still care some about looking my best, but I care more about being comfortable.  My age, of course, is a factor in this. 

My jeans are not as comfortable as they used to be because I suffer from a really horrible condition called, "muffin top."  No worries, it's not contagious.  SO….I have progressed to this wonderful new invention called, "leggings."  They are amazing!  You still need to pull them up, but you can move and breathe in them…and they make you look "fly."  Yes, old as I may be, I know what the term, "fly" means.

My blouses could also be utilized by women who are 8 months pregnant, but my blouses offer comfort.  I feel free in them.  I just hope a gust of wind doesn't lift me up into the sky.  My blouses may be big, but they are also quite colorful.  I would look like a big bright kite flying in the atmosphere.  BUT, I would be comfortable doing so!  
 
And, if you are tired at bedtime, no need to change clothes…just wear the blouse and leggings to bed.  They double as jammies! 

And, speaking of jammies, there is a lot less material in what I wear to bed due to hot flashes.  But trust me; my husband will tell you it's still a far cry from the sexy pieces I used to wear to bed. Sadly, it is what it is.

Another piece of my wardrobe that has changed as I have gotten older is my shoes.  There was a time when I liked to wear heels, not anything Jennifer Lopez high, but they were heels all the same.  These days, the flatter the better!  I need arches for support, but that's all I need in a good shoe.  If I tried to walk in heels now, it would be comical.  I have seen drunk people out and about who could walk a straighter line than me.  If my feet hurt, I hurt.  If I hurt, it's not pretty.

Even though I have lowered the standards of my clothing as I have aged, I have vamped up in other areas.  Take for instance my make-up.  When I was younger, I would wash my face in cheap soap, stick on some mascara and lip gloss, and off I would go.  Yes, those were the good old days!  Now, it's a facial scrub at night, followed by a deep moisturizer made from exotic ingredients found on some remote island in Figi.  Then, when I get up in the morning, it's another facial cleansing with products I pay a fortune for because some sales person talked me into buying them.  This is followed by yet another high-priced moisturizer for the daytime, eye liner, foundation, blush, powder, eye shadow, highlighter, lip stick with lip gloss, and the final touch is mascara.  Sometimes it is hard to find me under all of that make-up!

Lastly, my hair regime has changed too. 

My mother once said that my hair was "her" curse, and yes, when I was younger, she had to deal with it.  And yes, my sweet African-American gal-friend always refers to me as, "the nappiest headed white girl she has ever known."  (It's true…I do have nappy hair.)  But, there are amazing products I also pay a fortune for, to help keep my hair healthier and more relaxed.  I pay what I need to pay, and I do what I need to do.  Even if I have to stand by the road holding a sign that says, "$5.00 lunch boxes," or "will work for hair products," I WILL HAVE unruley hair!

And, I cannot forget about my hair color.  I do receive compliments on my "naturally curly, red hair" every now and then.  (Haven't I heard that on Charlie Brown?)   But, the curl is tamed, and the color is by my favorite beautician, Tabby. 

Otherwise, I would look like one of the Golden Girls.  I'm not quite ready for that, YET! 

However, the new trend is to go silver…which can help you transition to your natural "shade of gray" a bit easier.  Maybe one day.  Maybe not.  I really do like the look though!
The gal in the center with the silver hair is the beautiful, Brooks
So, Fernando, my way of thinking has matured, and this is how I feel now: “What most people call creepy, scary, and spooky, I call comfy, cozy, and home.”  ― Zak Bagans, Lead Investigator of The Ghost Adventures Crew.

May your hot flashes be mild and your wrinkles even milder!
Kim York

No comments:

Post a Comment