Thursday, February 5, 2015

Teen + Menopausal Mom = Hormone-poolza and, yep, Gratitude

When I had my daughter at 34, I should have done the math and read a little biology and maybe reconsidered the decision. (And my decision on that Sister Wife hair, above. )

Now, I would never reconsider having my girl. But if I had at least thought though the long-term implications I might have been more prepared.

But, no,  here I am, a Menopausal Mom with a hormonal teen. God Bless Us Every One.

If you Google "Menopausal" and "Mom" the first five hits are about "How to handle my Moms mood swings." Or YouTube videos like this . If you wonder about the challenges of dealing with a teenager, just ask any teenager or ask yourself...what was I like as a teenager?

And I will say on any scale of teen angst and unreasonable-ness my level-headed girl is on the low end.

Still, there is a natural, biological friction as she tries to pull away and I struggle to let her go.

I've written about it. (See: 1045 days and counting)

To say it has been hard will be understatement. Some of my Mom friends whose kids are now in their  20s say it isn't an accident that you are ready to see them go when it comes time for college. They will admit anonymously to wanting to push them out the door.
I'm not there but still....I feel like my life has been turned inside out


Because, you know, this is the girl I've grown use to.


And this is where we are today. She is taking over the world, as she should.

So. It's been hard. That's no surprise to any of my fellow Moms, Menopausal of otherwise.

But here is something that's new for me, I'm learning to cherish the time I have with her. We have Wild Women Wednesday. ( I just made up that name, FYI, and I am sure she would not approve.)
We reserve the space each Wednesday evening. It's official. It's on the calendar. It's been great. we both put our phones away. (Mostly) I love nothing more than talking big thoughts and what is fascinating to each of us than talking to Bailey.


This week we ate dinner and painted pots. Even if it is once a week it is twice the "quality time" we would have on a given week when we are doing dishes, folding clothes, doing homework, finishing up work, checking emails........
So, I have to make a shout out to Tim York, the husband of my fellow Menopausal Mom. Their amazing daughter Ashley. She has just been amid the whirlwind that is Sundance Film Festival she sometimes shoots through Kentucky for a visit. Tim said something like, "it's a couple of hours with Ashley, but it is always a good couple of hours."
So there you go. Quality not Quantity. And being grateful for the chance to make that happen.  Hormones or no hormones. 
Shout OUT: France. I feel like there may be more than one of you. Either way, Thank YOU!! Menopause has no bounds. 




No comments:

Post a Comment